Villa Necchi Campiglio
Built between 1932 and 1935 by Milanese architect Piero Portaluppi, Villa Necchi Campiglio ratified the the start of rationalism in the city's architecture, expressing, at the same time, the designer's whimsical creative fantasy and the persistence of elements from the previous Déco fancy. Ample internal volumes, the affectation of the materials and the vast space dedicated to performance rooms in this lavish house-museum contribute to tell the story of Milan during the first half of the 1900s, with its rites, worldliness and etiquette. At the same time, the zeal of daily domestic activities, and the life of those who contributed to these rites while working behind the scenes, are suitably presented by the sequence of service quarters, pantries, kitchens and bathrooms, still with their original decorations and furnishings.
Two important donations enrich this visit even more: Claudia Gian Ferrari's extraordinary collection of art masterpieces from the early 20th Century, with works by Sironi, Martini, de Chirico and others, and Alighiero and Emilietta De’ Micheli's exquisitely refined collection of paintings and art decorations from the 18th Century, including works by Canaletto, Rosalba Carriera and Tiepolo.