Crespi d'Adda Village
In 1995, Unesco added Crespi d'Adda to its List of Protected World Heritage as it represents an "Excellent example of the phenomenon of a workers' village, the most complete and well preserved in Southern Europe". Crespi is today a small village on the left bank of the Adda river, isolated in the wide triangle of lowlands formed by the delta with the river Brembo, allowing the local character and urban structure to remain perfectly conserved.
The workman's Village in Crespi is relatively recent, founded on the explicit wish of industrial magnate Cristoforo Benigno Crespi (1833-1920) in order to guarantee decent living conditions for the workers in his textile factories on the banks of the Adda, and their families. However, it was Silvio Benigno Crespi (1868-1944), the founder's elder son, who transformed the three main buildings, the hotel and the original canteen into an authentic workers' village (a Company Town, following the English model).
Fifty or so workers' houses appeared, built in a square layout with a garden, a neo-renaissance church, a school and theatre, public restrooms and, in the 1920's, villas for managers and foremen and an after-work club with bowling greens, library and meeting room.
These buildings form a regular urban grid, outside of which are situated the doctor's and chaplain's houses, the master's villa, the factory with its own hydroelectric plant and the cemetery, in which a ziggurat-style pyramid, the Crespi family mausoleum, stands out.
During the economic crisis in the 1920's, the Crespi family had to sell the property. In the fascist period the regime renamed the village Tessalia. The factory, closed for activity a few years ago, is abandoned.