Porta Ticinese, situated in Piazza XXIV Maggio, is one of the most significant and successful monuments of the Neoclassical period.
The French army lead by the Emperor Napoleon entered the city through this Porta, it was rebuilt in 1800, in honour of the victory at Marengo.
It is a solemn double tetrastyle Ionic propylaea that dominates the piazza with grandeur and magnificence.
The panelled vaulting is of noteworthy beauty, with splendid intricate veining made of pink granite from Baveno, as was the rest of the monument.
Starting in 1801 and for the following 14 years, the architect Luigi Cagnola worked on the gate, that, during this time, became known as Marengo.
In 1815 the triumphal arch changed its name again and adopted the name Porta Ticinese, and became dedicated to peace.