Standing over the banks of the Muzza, the Borromeo castle has a thousand-year history.
Famous since the ninth century, when the stronghold welcomed Carloman, it was then contested by the Torriani and Visconti families.
Falling into Venetian hands in 1446, it was recaptured by Francesco Sforza who, between 1451 and 1474, assigned its renovations to the architect Bartolomeo Gadio.
The impressive curtain wall on the Adda, the turrets and embrasures on the terraces, the expansion of the castle defenses and the new front building that gives the castle its current physiognomy date back to that time.
Used in 1705
as a military prison, at the end of that century it risked demolition to make room for a palace for prince
Ferdinando, son of Maria Teresa: but only the shelter gate protecting the village was lost.
In the 1800s the castle was used
as a courthouse, prison, barracks and, the right
wing, a factory. During the last century it was also used as a warehouse and disco. Renovations in recent years revealed frescoes from the Giotto school, probably commissioned by Ottone Visconti, marking residential