Villa San Carlo Borromeo
An interesting noble dwelling, planned in a u-shape, set in the heart of a large English-style park, with an abundance of various botanical species. The first building was built at the wishes of Federico Borromeo, who lent hospitality there to some religious during the plague of 1630; but it was Gilberto IV Borromeo, the bishop of Novara, who planned the restructuring of the old noble residence. The transformation of the villa into a monumental palace, built around an open courtyard, was completed with the participation of the Milanese architects Fausto and Giuseppe Bagatti Valsecchi. The sumptuous interior contains some wooden ceilings and the Rome room, with portraits of popes and cardinals.