La Scala Opera House
Destroyed by fire in 1775, the theatre set up on a wing of the Palazzo Reale, the court of Vienna and Theatre Society came in agreement to move the theatre to a larger walled structure. They demolished the XIV century church of Santa Maria della Scala. In 1776-78 Permarini built a canonical room in horse-shoe shape, with six galleries for box and gallery seating, besides guaranteeing optimal acoustic quality, the wooden trusses hid a fire extinguishing reservoir. The fašade, with a drive-through porch and pediment decorated by reliefs of Apollo's Carriage was expanded in 1830 from two wings into a terrace (Sanquirico et al). Several times, the interiors were remodelled (foyer and decorations); in 1906 Arturo Toscanini ordered the introduction of orchestra pit (until 1891 the stalls, all level and without fixed seats, could be used for parties and balls). Reconstructed by Secchi after it suffered war damage, it underwent renewed restoration efforts from 2002 to 2005.