Sanctuary of "Madonna Addolorata"
The Sanctuary is also known as "Madonna dei Miracoli". The building was gradually completed through the centuries. In the mid-18th century, a dome designed by Carlo Giuseppe Merlo and Giulio Galliori was added, and, in 1785, a facade by Leopoldo Pollack.
Following a miracle in 1583, the Sanctuary was commissioned by the Archbishop of Milan San Carlo Borromeo to his personal architect, Pellegrino Tibaldi, and entrusted to the Congregation of Oblates, for whom the adjacent College was also built.
Inside can be found stuccos, frescos and altar pieces by important 17th century artists such as C.Procaccini, Morazzone, Figino and Lanzani.
the sixteenth centuryarchitect
Pellegrino Tibaldi, Leopoldo Pollack, Giuseppe Merlo, Giulio Galliori. painter
Camillo Procaccini, Fiammenghini, Morazzone, Raffaele Casnedi da Runo, Ambrogio Figino, Lanzani.
The sanctuary is tied to the "blood tears" miracle. According to popular legend, the statue of the Virgin Mary cried tears of blood on April 24, 1584. Just before his death, cardinal Carlo Borromeo ordered a large and sumptuous sanctuary to be built on the site of the miracle. The miraculous event is still celebrated today every April 24th.