Pia Casa degli Incurabili
Golgi Institute functions as an important geriatric centre. The building complexes have grown over the centuries, starting with the San Martino Monastery, the oldest in the district, which was probably founded by the Cisterceans of the Abbazia di Morimondo and is already mentioned in a 1218 document. La Casa became a rehabilitation centre for the disabled thanks to Habpsburg Emperor Giuseppe II, and was extended in the late 1700s with a design by Leopold Pollack (who also designed the Villa Reale of Milan). Afterwards, it underwent considerable expansions in 1854 through the work of Lorenzo Carmagnola and in 1873 with the work of Giuseppe Balzaretti.
myth, legends, curiosity
Camillo Golgi, Nobel prize winner for medicine carried out his research in Abbiategrasso.